The Metta Meditation is my “go to” at anytime that I want to slow down, center a bit, and/or shift my perspective on a situation or person. Saying it first thing upon waking is also a marvelous way to begin your day.
My version is slightly different than the one on the card in the photo, but the essence is the same:
May I be happy.
May I be safe and free from harm.
May I be healthy.
May I be at ease.
My dear friend and teacher, Gwynne Warner, originally gave me the meditation and shared a way to spread the love and blessing from ourselves outward in an expanding sphere of influence. Here’s the sequence:
- Round 1 – Always begin with yourself, using “I”, as in the above Metta (4 statements)
- Round 2 – Choose someone who is very dear to you, in your inner circle. This may be a partner, family member or whoever you have a deep and dear relationship with. Use their name when reciting the meditation.
- Round 3 – The next person is someone who you are less close to, perhaps a good friend or business associate. Use their name.
- Round 4 – The fourth person is someone with whom you don’t have such a great rapport with. In fact, it may be someone who grates on your nerves, challenges your kindness, or just doesn’t quite gel with you and your life. State their name in the blessing.
- Round 5 – Envision your home and state the meditation. If your home or property has a name, be sure to use that.
- Round 6 – Use your street/neighborhood as the recipient of the blessing.
- Round 7 – The city you live in.
- Round 8 – Your state.
- Round 9 – The country in which you live.
- Round 10 – The world.
After reciting this meditation through all 10 rounds, not only will you feel more peace and ease within your own body and being, you will also hold the good feeling of having done your part in spreading love to others.
We are all fragile flames. Shine on, bright lights.