Having your spring or well water tested doesn’t need to be a big chore, especially if you live in or around the Sandy OR area. The City of Sandy makes this so easy by offering a sample pick-up and drop-off service. Alexin Analytical Laboratories performs the testing.
Here are the steps to utilizing this great, free service:
1) Stop by Sandy City Hall or the City Ops Center at 16610 Champion Way (across from Sandy Cinema) or City Hall to pick up the sampling bottle and test order form. Sampling instructions, test ordering directions and pricing are included with the bottle. DURING COVID-19 closures: Please call City Hall (503-668-5533) to arrange a time to pick up a sampling kit.
2) Sample your water according to the included instructions. The sample must be taken from your source (usually the kitchen faucet) less than 24 hours from the time the lab picks up the samples. Alexin picks up completed samples from the City Ops Center on Tuesdays at 10 a.m.
3) Drop off your completed sample at the City Ops Center before 10 a.m. on Tuesday.
4) Call Alexin Analytical Laboratories at 503-639-9311 the next day, Wednesday, to provide payment via debit or credit card.
5) Test results are sent to you directly via mail within 7 – 10 days, or less.
Three contaminants are tested for in the Private Well Package test: bacteria (fecal coliform), arsenic and nitrates. The cost of this test is $90. (as of 6.1.2020)
If you have questions about the testing service, you can phone City Hall at 503-668-5533 for more information.
To learn more about what contaminants to test for and how often tests should be performed, see my “Testing, testing…This is a Test” blog post.
When was the last time your well or spring water was tested?